2021 INSTAGRAM ALGORITHM // THE BREAKDOWN
2021 came with some algorithm updates from Instagram, all designed to keep the community conversation moving. If you’re wondering how this algorithm works, it looks at the user’s past behavior, sweeps all the available posts or pieces of content, and then evaluates each one to predict how interesting it is to that user. The most interesting content then goes to the top.
Here are 5 tips for working with the everchanging Instagram Algorithm in 2021:
1. Post Carousels: While the Instagram algorithm doesn’t explicitly prioritize carousels, posts that earn more engagement are rewarded with more reach. Carousel posts make up 17% of feed posts, and according to Hootsuite’s own research they pull 3x the engagement and 1.4x the reach of other post types.
2. Post Consistently: This is key whether you’re looking for help with reach, engagement or follower growth – because, of course, those three things are related. On average, businesses post 1.56 posts to their feed per day. If that sounds like way too much, rest assured that just showing up consistently (every weekday, for instance), is enough to keep the ball rolling.
3. Try New Features: Posting one Reel to Instagram is definitely not a guaranteed method for improving your organic reach overall. However, posting a really good Reel is certainly likely to expose your account to new eyes, and earn you better engagement. HOT TIP: Avoid recycling watermarked TIkTok videos to IG Reels.
4. Don’t Try to Game the System: Instagram pods, buying Instagram followers, and Instagram automation do not work and according to Instagram, the algorithm can tell when your account is being shady. So just avoid these tactics all together.
5. Use Hashtags Better: Precise, accurate, thoughtful hashtags signal to humans and the algorithm what’s in your post, and who might be interested in it. Dig around in your niche, do your research, and use hashtags that actually describe what your post is about.